Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Member Specific > New Members > Newbie in need of advice

Newbie in need of advice

Replies: 1 - 20 of 20
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
lilly83
Contact Me
Hi all I'm new here, I have a 3 month old Lab Mix and was wondering if anyone could clarify his mix, I've been told he could be a lab X beagle! I can upload more pics if need be. Thank you x

lilly83
Contact Me
Sorry let me introduce ourselves, I'm Leanne and my pup is called Alfie we live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (UK).
emgerber
Contact Me
Hi Leanne and Alfie, welcome to the designer mixes web site. I am looking forward to getting to know you. I am going to go and check out your pictures. I am from Ontario, Canada.
emgerber
Contact Me
Very nice looking dog. Would love to see more pictures.
lilly83
Contact Me
Thank you Emgerber, I will add some more pictures later this evening! Would you say he is a lad/beagle mix?
corky95621
Contact Me
my brother has a dog that looks just like that! same markings and everything! although the white blaze on his face is on the oposite side from your dogs. his dog is a lab beagle mix. here is a photo of my brothers dog. (adult not puppy) this is what yours might look like when he grows up!!!

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/courtney1987church/165174_484681856889_585461889_6427289_528853_n.jpg[/IMG]
corky95621
Contact Me
sorry that link didnt work out as i had planned. here i will upload a picture of my brothers dog to my profile page so you can go see him.
corky95621
Contact Me
oh forgot to tell you the picture is in the ORVILE album. i have several dogs on there and just wanted you to be able to find the right photo lol
lilly83
Contact Me
Hi Corky, thanks for the reply awww your brothers dog is gorgoeus and so alike my Alf, except for the white strip! Can I ask how big is he? Is he the size of a lab or beagle or inbetween? I know it depends on which gene is the strongest. Alfie has huge front paws and has loads of extra skin too
emgerber
Contact Me
I just went an look at Orville, nice looking dog but yes a beagle face.
So lilly what do you think your dogs cross is?
I know it is nice to know but I am sure if you do not know for sure you will have lots of years of enjoyment and love from him.
lilly83
Contact Me
I'm not sure as his parents were both labs his mum was yellow his dad a fox red but I think his dad was a mix of something, I will upload pics of mum and dad
corky95621
Contact Me
yellow labs actually come in an abundance of color shades and fox red is one of them so it could be pure but judging by the coloration of your dog there was definately a mix. i got my bf a lab pup for our 1 year anniversary and we went to the home and they said the parents were both labs and when i looked at the parents i laughed because they were BOTH female! i didnt say anything to the owner cuz the pups were just too darn cute and we didnt care if they were pure or not. he looks like a lab pitbull mix with his head shape lol. but labs are not supposed to have white markings on them like your Alfie does. my brothers lab beagle mix is probably about 45-50 pounds and is LAZY. he looks like your alfie but the white stripe is on the opposite side of his face LOL. he is a sweet and smart dog though but is a huge couch potatoe
corky95621
Contact Me
so i just looked at your dogs parents and i would deffinately say the dad (fox red) is a mix of some sort. he doesnt have typical lab features on his face. but i couldnt tell you what he was mixed with. id say there is some hound dog in your mix but which hound i am not sure. as there are hounds that look a lot like beagles but are more lab size. so who knows! he is super adorable though!
lilly83
Contact Me
Hahahaha both female!!! I'm not bothered he's not pure I love him whatever, its just annoying when ppl stop and ask what he is lol I just say lab cross but not sure what with! It would just be nice to say exactly. I'm thinking of doing a DNA on him just to see what's in him.
emgerber
Contact Me
Well I posted here yesterday and some how it got lost into a black hole. There sure is some interesting conversation going on about the mix in Alfie. You may be able to make a better guess when your puppy gets a little bit older. The reason I say that is because my daughter got a purebred yellow lab. But when she was a puppy we were not convinced she was pure. We questioned the breeder and every thing else. My daughter also has an older black lab. Then as the puppy grew this wonderful transformation seem to happen and now almost 1 year old she is definitely a pure lab and meets all the conformation requirements for a lab.
lilly83
Contact Me
How strange Emgerber, saying that I always ask for emails to be sent when a new post is posted but never get a thing, hence my slow replies. Yea my friend has said wait till he's a bit older too, but to be honest I didn't buy him to breed or anything got him because he was gorgeous and with his markings so different to his brothers and sisters, oh and I've posted some new pics :o)
emgerber
Contact Me
The pictures are great I love the white on his feet, chest and face. I must say I am partial to white. My dog's name is Khia check her out. She is a high performance Agility Dog and presently has 1 title and working on her 2nd title. She is not a recognized breed in North America but she is and American Eskimo Spaniel. We have her complete history, her parents and grand parents are the same cross and her great grand parents on both sides are when the cross was done. This was an controlled cross by an European American Eskimo Breeder. I know it is nice to know your dogs history but it really never does matter. We have had her since she was 7 weeks old.
lilly83
Contact Me
Awww I've just had a look at Khia she is beautiful, she looks like she has a great personality. I would love to get Alfie in agility but he's a bit too young yet and not sure if there is any in my area :o(
emgerber
Contact Me
Khia does have a wonderful personality. She loves everyone and every animal. She just loves to play. We starting to train agility to Khia when she was just 6 months old. In Canada you have to be 18 months before you can compete. Khia has now just turned 2 and loves to do agility. With her high energy the more the better, because I am her handler it also keeps me in shape. Alfie would probably would love to do agility. It is also mentally challenging for your dog. When we started training we went really slow and used very low jumps. When your dog is young you have to be very careful with there hip health. You need to build their muscles before you start to get into the more difficult contacts. It is sometime to really think about for Alfie.
lilly83
Contact Me
Yes when he is older I think it is something I will def look into :o)
emgerber
Contact Me
So what kind of training are you doing now for Alfie? When I was really young 3 months we went to puppy school, then we went to puppy gymnastics the we did starting obedience. It was lots of fun and I loved being with the other puppies.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund