Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Food & Nutrition > Food > Food suggestions for older dogs

Food suggestions for older dogs

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
Xninasaurusrex
Contact Me
Hi Guys!

I just had a question. My Chorkie is about 7 years old and due to extreme abuse in his previous homes, has some missing teeth. I was just wondering if anybody else with older dogs has any other suggestions for me.

I feed him Science Diet for Senior Dogs (for dogs that are 7+ years old), he seems to like it, but I add water most of the time so that it gets kinda softer for him to eat since Rocky's missing his middle teeth and chewing molars. When I went home for a visit with him, I gave him canned food, like that Cesar stuff and he seemed to like it, and I kind of thought that maybe it was better for him chewing wise, I just didn't wanna give him that canned stuff that just looks like ground up meat, I wanted to give him food that actually looked like food, haha.

But I was just looking for any suggestions or anything you guys feed your older dogs! Thanks!!

corky95621
Contact Me
MERRICK is a great canned food. they make different style like country cooking and grandmas pot pie haha cute names and you can see all the veggies and meat in it and it is healthy for them. also natures variety makes a great canned food too. Have you thought of doing a raw diet? Natures Variety makes a raw diet that is soft and you can easily mash it up for him or cut it up into small chunks. it would be GREAT for your dogs health. you can look up Natures Variety on facebook and they will give you a coupon for 3 dollars off the raw diet. it is 12.99 for 48 medalians. i feed my dog 3 a day along with kibble but for a senior dog he might not need so much. they can help you find out how much to feed for you little guy. any canned food will be good for your dog as long as it is a healthy brand. stay away from cesear, beneful, pedigree and all that garbage.
corky95621
Contact Me
i currently work for PetSmart and have worked for Petco for 3 years and Incredible Pets for 1 year so if you ever have any questions regarding your little senior feel free to ask.
Xninasaurusrex
Contact Me
Thanks! I've never heard of that food! I don't think he's a very picky dog, he pretty much tries anything once, so I'm sure I can give him some and he won't have a problem with it, and he can see if he likes it! Do they sell it at major pet food stores like Petco and Petsmart and stuff? Or do I need to try and find it at a specialty store or something.
corky95621
Contact Me
you can find the foods at a feed store although Petco and Petsmart to sell regrigerated food that you can just slice up and feed which is great too! and i believe it is cheaper. although they do sell some good canned foods there as well. but i usually go to my local feed store for my dogs raw food. ALSO the brand MERRICK makes a kibble that when you add water to it it gets a gravey substance to it which is nice :D
emgerber
Contact Me
Xninasaurusex I would like to say that corky95621 is very knowledgeable about dog food. She is helping me find something with great quality for my girl who has food allergies. She has steered me in the right direction. I not only wanted something that my dog could eat I wanted something that has high nutrition value. I am seriously thing about adding a bit of raw to my girls diet as well. It is so nice to read you have adopted a 7 year old dog most people want puppies or very young dogs. 

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund