Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Health > General Healthcare > Sunscreen

Sunscreen

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
emgerber
Contact Me
I read a question in the polls section of this web site about sunscreen. I have never thought of sunsreen or even seen sunscreen for dogs. I would love to know more about personal experience with using sunscreen. What brands you have used and what you like and what you do not like.

BellaBonBon
Contact Me
Hi,

We use Epi-Pet Sun Protector on our dogs.  It's lovely stuff, and doesn't matt their fur, or interact with any of their other medications (flea and heartworm preventatives, coat strengthener, etc).

Additionally, we make sure our dogs have T-shirts on during the summer.  I feel this is important due to the natural middle split that occurs in our dogs fur.  It leaves a line of skin open to the sun on their backs.  Wearing a  T-shirt helps protect the skin as well as the fur (not to mention it adds adorable to their already adorable little selves).
emgerber
Contact Me
Thank you for getting back to me. I am going to keep this in mind and check it out. We are just headed into winter and we get lots and lots of snow and cold so I do not need it now but I sure am going to check this out for my dog come the summer which will be July and August 2012. We use sunscreen on our horse but I never thought about it until I read the question. My dog has long hair so I do not know if I am going to need a t-shirt but it sure sounds so cute. Did you post any pictures here with the t-shirts on? I would love to see them.
sands904
Contact Me
We use sunscreen on the ears of one of my dogs, Lacey. She has ears that always seem to flip up and one summer they got burned. I have a spray sunscreen for dogs. It is Vet's Best Sun Relief Spray: http://www.vetsbest.com/products/dog-topicals.php. I even used it on myself when we were out hiking and I forgot to put some on my neck
emgerber
Contact Me
Wow that is in incredible. I never thought about sunscreen for the inside of the ears. Yes my dogs ears do flip up too. The flipping up of ears sure could  expose the under side and get badly sunburned. This is something I am most certainly going to make sure I start using. I would think there is the same risk in the winter on those real sunny days when you can get a sunburn I am sure the inside of my dogs ears could also be at risk. Thanks for the input.
corky95621
Contact Me
before my white doberman passed away i had to use sunscreen on his nose cuz it would burn. didnt find this out till i crated him and left the blinds open. came home and his nose was blistered from the sun. i felt so terrible!
emgerber
Contact Me
Oh my word. Poor dog. You have just added more reasons for why I am going to check out sunscreen for my girl. I have been lucky so far as she has not got a sunburn yet, but I can see that inside her ears and her nose certainly would be at risk.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund