Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Member Specific > New Members > Wanting information

Wanting information

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
Smoochie_Gema
Contact Me
Hi I'v joined this forum as I have recently adopted a beautiful American bulldog who has had a rough start n needing lots of tlc she is the same age as my neo mastiff (male) who we waited over a year to get as we were careful on where we were getting a new addition from and lots of research as we have young children. both dogs already formed a close bond n my new bitch has come leaps and bounds already. My only concern is if my male goes over my bitch American bulldog. If this does happen will she be able to have a as normal birth as possible as like a purebred dog. I have read up on American bandogge or otherwise known as American masti-bulls but I'm unsure of if the neo should b the bitch n the male the bulldog or whether it doesn't matter. Please if anyone has had experience with theses two breeds and/or successfully bred theses breeds together I would really appreciate your knowledge n advice I just want the best for both my puppies as both came into our family in different ways but they are like our children.

pitbull4me
Contact Me
my question is this, why do you want to breed these 2 breeds together?What do hope to achieve in this match up? if you adopted her, why are you not fixing her? does your male have all of the extreme health testing done by responsible Neo breeders?have you done all of the health testing on the Bulldog as well?
Before even thinking about breeding I would recommend contacting your breeder and/or other breeders of said breeds and check what tests are required for sire and dam before breeding these breeds.
Personally as the owner of Filas,Dogos, and Neos over the years, I would not recommend breeding a Neo to anything but a Neo. You really are unable to know what genetic and health problems you are going to get. I showed for a number of years and spayed and neutered my champions. Why add to the over population. Also, what kind of homes are you going to find for these pups that could be hyper and the size of a Neo!!! Are you ready to have to keep these pups?even if a litter of 8 or 10 or 12?Both breeds can have large litters.
I just cannot see purposely breeding mutts.
Smoochie_Gema
Contact Me
Ok well I understand where ur coming from but wow seriously I think there would of been a better way of saying it secondly did I even mention I was planning on breeding them.......no I was purely asking for advice on a wat if.... I have not desexed my neo as we are still unsure wheather or not we want to put him with another neo yet both my dogs r still young n b4 I make any decisions I like to learn as much as possible so we can make a informed decision based on facts and not just on pure thoughts of ppl I like to be able to look at Both sides of facts and recommemdations. Now as for the extreme testing I'm at this stage dnt see the point in it as we havent personally gone out n decided we going to get these two different types of dogs for the soul purpose of breeding them....my question was wat would happen n if it did happen so we are aware of the risks n can take the right precautions until (A) we have decided on wat to do with our boy and/or (B) when our bitch is in much better health all round body n mind to put her thru that procedure cos as I said she has had a bad start ... You may think we r dumb for having these two breeds that are not desexed but we didn't plan on adopting our bitch but I couldn't stand to see her stay in the state where she was and took her in and if that makes us bad ppl then so be it but atleast I'm not being ignorant about it we are doin wat we can to decide the best path for Both of our dogs. Now as for homes for the pups I am very good friends of my neo's breeders and have already discussed the potential outcome of breeding him and of the pups......and seeing as my neo is a male n they know alot of other breeders my neo would b purely studded I wouldn't have to try and find homes for the pups as they would of already organized n had ppl ready waiting n willing to take on a neo as a pet and I know for a fact they don't just let the pups go to just any one and this is why we are still considering on going ahead with this option my neo is only 12mths old n not even mature or ready. As for my American bulldog she is no where near where she needs to b to undergo this procedure of getting her desexed she has come along way in the last month but it's taken alot of hard work commitment dedication n patients to get her to where she is and I will not risk undoin all the hard work. I have a vet on board with me working with me to get her back up to standard and he has even advised me she is not ready. She also is aprox. 12 mths give or take a month. Yes we will b getting her desexed but no not at this stage. A little compassion is in order under her circumstances. Both of my dogs have a beautiful nature and I am confident enough to let my toddler play n socialize with both of them neither of them have a dangerous bone in their bodies they are both placid and loyal and great family dogs. Most of the day the laze around In the sun and relax they actually have the life they r both very spoilt n have everything they need plus more. Once again I will state I AM NOT PLANNING OR WANTING to breed theses two dogs together but I am asking (1) the best way to try prevent without desexing at this stage and (2) the outcome if by chance it does happen? I want to be aware and prepared for every situation possible I'm not an ignorant or aggorant dog owner I'm simply a human being/mum/animal owner trying her best to do the right thing all round so please don't respond in a manner where I am made out to be a bad irriesponsible person thus is why I thought joining a forum would be a good idea an very informative n to help me learn more ?
pitbull4me
Contact Me
I am a very upfront and honest person, so I say what I mean and mean it. For over 17yrs I have rescued,fostered and helped Pit Bulls in need. I have had ex fighters, ex baitdogs, you name it come thru my house. I have seen the worst of the worst in my journey with Pit Bulls. So, I have a lot of dog knowledge. I also volunteer at my local shelters. But, I have also bred a couple of my own litters after a couple thousand put out for al of the testings that needed to be done to ensure I would be producing the best quality(health wise)puppies. My puppy contract alone make people rethink if they want a puppy from me. My potential adoption contract is even worse. In all honesty, I have a mutt she is a Boston Terrier mom and Mini Schanuazer dad, called a Miniboz. But, I am very against purposely mixing 2 breeds together for profit.
The best way to not have puppies is to keep both dogs crated and for the female to only go out on a leash and with you. Both sexes can be very resourcful when they want to breed. My friends Rotties hooked up thru a chainlink fence!
Smoochie_Gema
Contact Me
And as am I. And for someone who has had all this experience to even suggest to put animals in a crate ? im sorry but thats cruel in its self i treat my dogs like my children n there is no way i would pen my kids all day every day n only let them out a few times that is horrible considering the pair have been sharing the same back yard for the past month and a bit already and have showed no signs of any interest at all of wanting to mate I think I'll carry on doing wat I'm doin ae she hasn't even had her first season nor has he ever been around a bitch who has.And are you actually reading EVERYTHING cos please I am interested where it states in my posts I am wanting to breed to profit???? Honestly mate you people wonder why there is so many dogs who are poorly treated n let's there dogs breed with wat ever because when they do ask questions this is wat we get :( wat a sad society we live in......Can SOMEONE please tell me why people like myself, who join forums like this to get advice n learn information n things that can improve their animals wellbeing n quality of life even bother because you my friend although has points in wat you are saying is taking everything out of context n rudely saying things that has absolute no relevance to my questions...you are putting words into my mouth and making false assumptions of what I am doing with my 2 very loved pooches. I have no interest in breeding these dogs together and definitely dose NOT want to put my poor lil gem gem thru that she has endured enough in her short life time. The reason we are considering letting smooch our neo father a litter as my breeders friends who also breed neo's has asked them if I would consider it but really that is none of your business. Mayb get down off your high horse n actually help educate ppl instead of making them feel like a bad person for even asking questions n stop dictating to ppl oh an actually be a lil more nice n not so harsh and you might actually get somewhere and have ppl like myself see it from your angle n maybe even take some of ur advice. I agree to be totally upfront and all but go learn some ppl skills n tact ....like the old saying goes you will catch more fly's with honey instead of vinegar. I am really disappointed that this experience that started off as a positive for me has turned into a major negative. I really thought this forum would help n educate me on different things n open my eyes to new things to try with my own pets but so far all i have learnt is aggorance and making people feel bad by trying to do a good thing! And if I get deleted after this post then so be it because I don't need negative ppl or ignorant ppl but i would like ppl who are willing to help educate the ppl who are asking for advice in a respectable positive manner ? after all we are all here for the same reason because we all love our pooches and want the best for them.....that is all I have to say
sands904
Contact Me
Hello Smoochie and Welcome!!

I am actually the one who started this website. The last thing I want is for you to feel unwelcome or attacked for reaching out for information. Our site started out because of my two Chihuahua Poodle mixes that I purchased. At that time in my life I did not know much about dogs or breeding or puppy mills, etc. After starting this site I began reading and researching a lot and this site changed gears a little. We do try to promote spaying/neutering and rescuing from shelters, but that is not to say that breeding is bad. It just needs to be done with care and all the proper testing, etc.

In your case since you are not planning on breeding your two dogs the health testing would not be something that I would push. If you do not want them to 'get together' then you will definitely need to keep them apart during her heat cycle. Crating is not cruel when done properly and it would only need to be done during the heat cycle which is only once every 6 months. Besides crating you can just keep them in separate rooms when you cannot be watching them. None of this is fool-proof however. I may have missed it but is there a reason the female has not been fixed? How old is she? Spaying a female before her first heat cycle can actuall reduce/eliminate their risk for certain conditions like certain types of cancer, etc. So there are healthy benefits to it as well. Check out our article for more information about that: //www.designermixes.org/Dog_Articles/28/Spaying__Neutering.aspx

I think you are doing a good thing in reaching out and researching this beforehand. Ultimately, everything is your decision and you will get a different opinion from everyone you ask. The important thing is you love and care for your dogs and you do the best for them. My personal opinion is that you should seriously look into spaying your female especially because it sounds like you do not know much about her past.

I hope this helps some and best of luck with everything!
Smoochie_Gema
Contact Me
Thank you for welcoming me. I rescued my American bulldog around a month or so ago first thing I did was hydro bathed her as she was riddled I worked her straight away as smooch had jus been worked and also freshly hydro bathed and I didn't want to introduce her until I knew she was ok I took her to the vets where besides the under weight issue n some wounds she was carrying from another dog she got the all clear. Then that's when the fun began..... She was so fragile and delicate everything I did had to b done with care and caution as I didn't know 100% how she was going to go and react to my neo ( who is the biggest sook in the world hence the name smooch) I was pleasntly shocked that when me and my partner introduced the dogs for the first time with a lattice fence in-between both on their leads there wasnt even a snarl growl or bark.....what a relife we let them get to know each other for a bit though before we removed the barrier between them smooch was over the moon he had a friend and immediately took her under his paw n showed her around her new home letting her mark some of "his" territory as her own. I started her on a strictly 2-3 hrly feeding plan (which smooch took full advantage of lol) to help her gain the weight she so desperately needed without pigging out and making herself sick followed step by step from my vet :) she settled in nicely the first 24-48 hrs were crucial so I pretty much stayed with her as much as I could with still attending to my children. The next hurdle was getting her comfortable with my partner as she was abused and beaten by her male owner who later abandoned her that's wen I took her in it broke my heart I could actually see the hurt n pain in her eyes n the scared look On her face I did not hesitate any way long story short she came around with my partner then our kids now that amazed me the most she was so gentle n trusting with my two little boys it was so pure an innocent that was a make or break for us and we instantly knew she belonged with us over the past month we are now able to bring others in the backyard and sit on the patio with out her freaking out her confidence has soared and just last weekend she amazed me once more and actually approached our guests with a sniff and a gentle nudge before she quickly ran back by my side where she stayed. I spoke to my vet regarding getting her desexed and we both agree it's best but not at this stage small steps at a time she is only around 12 mths give or take and at the present it's more important to get her health n weight back on track b4 she goes under the knife and that's understandable due to her past. We have to provide her with stress free enviorment she has come so far already but we dnt want one little mistake throwing us back at the start. It's amazing how a little love and attention can change a dog she is a real cuddle bum now n we get constant tail wags instead of tail between legs shaking head down n barking her confidence as soared she still is a lil timid at first with new Ppl but once she sees me n my partner relax and be ok she seems. Too as well but still a lil on gaurd ready to run awayspecially with sudden movements. We will definately be separating them when she does come on heat which brings me to my original question.... I want to kno if by chance she does happen to fall how do u think her birth will go and just general wat to expect? I will b trying my hardest to not let this happen but sometimes nature manages to take it's course.. If I could have her fixed now I would but I dnt want to risk losing her all together :(
Smoochie_Gema
Contact Me
Wormed* sorry not worked lol
pitbull4me
Contact Me
Crates are not cruel and based on all of my experience I am pro crate all the way. Having 6 or 7 Pit Bulls in your home that are from different bad situations crates are the safest way. And,I did not say to keep her crated 24/7 for the rest of her life. I said to separate them while she is in heat. If you do not keep them separated when she is in heat they will breed. It doesn't matter if he has been around females in heat before,nature will kick in.

In no way were any of my posts negative against you. I am also not ignorant by far. I speak after years of experience and have done spay and neuter education along with what it means to be a responsible pet owner seminars. I have changed the mind of many,even with my direct approach. I also am a Senior Customer Service supervisor and have been for. But that doesn't matter.

I do understand that you do not want to chance having something happen to your female considering her rough beginning. I have been in that position myself more than once with my rescues.So that means you have to be even more vigilant in keeping them separated when she comes into heat. An unplanned pregnancy in an already compromised female would be disastrous to her. Even death of her and/or the pups. If she is not strong enough to be spayed ,she certainly is in no shape to deal with pregnancy and whelping.

I hope you take the helpful info and use it to your advantage.
sands904
Contact Me
Thanks for the additional information. I was wondering if it was a health issue. I do applaud you and the vet for making the decision that is in her best interest. There are many vets out there that would want to do the opperation anyway. Like pitbull said crates are not cruel and you should probably start getting them both used to them if you don't have another way to separate them during her cycle. One of my dogs LOVES his crate. If I cannot find him he is usually in his crate with the door standing wide open sleeping soundly. Dogs are den animals and when crate-training is done correctly the dogs find them comforting and safe.

As far as if something should accidently happen...that is one of the reasons I started this site there is not a lot of information out there abou mixes. You really have no way of knowing what will happen during birth. Just because one female of a certain breed can have a perfect birthing experience of pups fathered by another breed does not mean that another pair of the same breeds will be so lucky. It is much like human pregnancy/birth...everyone is individual. It sounds like you have a wonderful vet that you can trust. So, you may want to consult with him/her since they know both of your dogs the best. Setup a time to discuss thing with him/her and get your questions/concerns answered. If nothing else it may make you feel more at ease.

Like you said though I would definitely do your best to make sure they are separated because a pregnancy for her would not help her health situation at all. Best of luck!!!

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund