Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > General Topics > Q & A > How often should I feed my 9 week old Yorkillon?

How often should I feed my 9 week old Yorkillon?

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
sandywitch
Contact Me
My other dog was 72 pounds when we got him, and we feed him once a day. I have NO idea how often to feed this little guy! I was told to feed him 1/4 to 1/2 cup of puppy food, but now how often! Since he's not a Yorkie and not a Pavillon, but a mixture of both, I can't seem to figure out how much when???

sands904
Contact Me
WELCOME! I have three dogs two small Chipoos (9 and 14 lbs) and a German Shepherd mix (56lbs). I now feed them two meals a day. I started by feeding them 3 times a day when they were puppies and then gradually changed them to 2 meals a day around 1 years of age. I have always read that smaller dogs should have at least two meals per day because they cannot eat enough in one meal to get adequate nutrients. You should start with the recommended amount on the bag of food and divide that by the number of meals you are feeding them per day. You can adjust from that. Hope that helps! Good Luck!
sophiesmom
Contact Me
I know my Chipoo Sophie, 7 lbs, is a nibbler. She never eats much at any one time so I leave a small amount of dry out all the time. Her favorite time to eat is after we go to bed and then she will run in the kitchen (she runs cause she's afraid of the dark) and get a few pieces and bring them to the bedroom and then run back two or three more times. My older Malchi has very few teeth so I feed him wet in the mornings and Sophie gets just a tiny bit of it also. I try not to over feed but I also believe in letting them eat when they are hungry so that is why I leave some out all the time. All dogs are different and some tend to eat if it's there so it just depends on your dog.
sycadoog
Contact Me
I have had several small dogs over the years and have often found that they are nibblers. I have yet to have one that overeats if I leave out a small bowl of food all the time. You do have to be very careful to limit the snacks though.
sandywitch
Contact Me
Thank you. My large dog, Hunter, recently needed emergency surgery for bloat. He almost died. I used to feed him once in the evening. Now I feed him half the amount twice daily. Thus far I've been feeding Pookey, my Yorkillon, all day long. That is, I leave it out for him all the time. He seems to be a nibbler unless I feed him a morsal at at time by hand. He's now three months old. I was wondering if trying to get hin to eat all at once three times a day if it would be easier to get him house trained since he'd probably "go" at more regular times. Does anybody know?
sands904
Contact Me
Yes, feeding a puppy on a fixed schedule is the best way to help with potty-training. If you know when they have eaten you can have a good idea on when they will need to go. You should take them outside about 20-30 minutes after they have eaten as well as after waking up in the morining or from a nap, after drinking water, after a play session, etc. These are all usually triggers to them having to go potty. Best of Luck!

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund