Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Grooming > At Home Grooming > Need advice on grooming

Need advice on grooming

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
sophiesmom
Contact Me
My 4 month old Chipoo refuses to let me brush her. I would love to keep her long silky coat but when I try to brush her she comes unglued. I have tried holding her and using different types/styles of brushes to show it won't hurt but she cries, bites and jumps out of my arms. She's okay with baths, actually jumps in herself at times but when it comes to brushing her out forget it. Anyone have any ideas? If so, I would love to hear them.[:D]

sycadoog
Contact Me
Sometimes it is just a matter of building up the trust. She may have very sensitive skin or have been hurt by a tug on a snarl or snag. It is mostly a matter of keeping the sessions short and offering a reward for letting you touch her with the brush and then letting you brush her very lightly with it and so on. It will take some time and she may never fully like being brushed but with time she will tolerate it. My Schnauzer Sammy is the same way he will let me clip him and bathe him but he hates to be brushed even though I am always very careful not to hurt him. [:)]
sophiesmom
Contact Me
Thanks. I have an appt. to have her groomed for the first time next week and I am as worried as I was when I sent my daughter off to Kindergarten the first day. I know she will be fine but I'm afraid what I will do if I think they were "mean" to her. [:I] I've always groomed my older dog myself but she is going to need someone who knows what they are doing. I will try your advice though on keeping grooming sessions short and rewarding her.
sycadoog
Contact Me
good luck wiht the groomer. I would also worry about my babies at the groomer for the first time. maybe they will also be able to offer you some suggestions to help her fear.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund