Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Food & Nutrition > Food > OMG all 3 of my dogs like fresh horseradish!

OMG all 3 of my dogs like fresh horseradish!

Replies: 1 - 12 of 12
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
primal
Contact Me
I'm harvesting my horseradish patch now so i have a pail in the kitchen half full of roots and tops for replanting since early this morning. For a couple of hours now i've been watching all 3 of them taking turns gnawing at a nice big hunk of root with a couple of inches of stem on it. I've never seen or heard of dogs liking it but they sure did seem to enjoy it! I think the funniest thing is that it was my girl Ghost who instigated it and she is the fussiest about the foods she'll eat. It did dawn on me that it may not be such a good thing for them to eat so i will keep you posted of any adverse reactions.. though my dogs are explorers and pretty good about being selective about what they find, but i guess ya never know..

primal
Contact Me
Well the fresh root seems to have no negative effects. When the first root was gone one of the other dogs went and got another one and again they all took turns on it but not over doing it at all. They take a few bites and then forget about it but they do come back to it later. Horseradish root has tons of medicinal uses as well as quite loaded with nutrients and is a natural antibiotic, so i'll trust them on this one:)
sands904
Contact Me
Hello! That is very interesting that they all like horseradish. Not something I would think dogs would like. I give my dogs home-cooked meals and lots of 'people food'. I have never read anything about horseradish being good or bad for dogs. I guess you could ask your vet but they would probably say it is not good for them. Keep us posted!!
primal
Contact Me
Hehe, i'd never have thought they would either! I am not too worried about it since it seemed to have no ill effects but yes I will mention it to a vet next time i see one.:)
Xninasaurusrex
Contact Me
That's so funny! Haha, yeah I researched up on foods that are bad for dogs after my husband got into an argument with me about feeding our dogs (a 7 year old Chorkie and a 4 year old American Staffordshire Terrier) table scraps. I told him it was dumb to not give them stuff that in nature they would eat, and so I looked up stuff that are deemed "bad" for dogs. And after all the stuff I found, I realized that really nothing is bad for them in moderation. I mean, don't feed your dog a bag of chocolates, but I let my Chorkie take a drink of my chocolate milk or something. And neither one of them has gotten sick or anything. So yeah, just watch them, but really if they like it and they don't get sick, good for them, they found a new treat!! :) Enjoy!
corky95621
Contact Me
my dogs NEVER get table scraps. there is no point in feeding them food that has been cooked cuz at high temperatures all the nutrients get cooked out of it. my dogs get RAW and grain, wheat, soy, and by product free kibble. i will feed them healthy stuff like brown rice, carrots and a tad bit of garlic to ward off fleas but i never feed my dogs cooked steak or chicken or any of that garbage. they get that stuff raw so i spoil my dogs in a healthy way. feeding dogs all that garbage ruins their teeth and can upset their stomachs
corky95621
Contact Me
also in nature a dog would not naturally eat veggies, only the animal that ate the veggies and thats how they got their veggies. also a dog (if in the wild, very unlikely) would not eat a pig, a cow, a lamb, or whatever meat. yes they would eat a rabbit, squirrel, fish so on and so forth and i doubt that is what you eat on a daily basis lol. but dogs are not "wild" anymore except for a few rare breeds that have not quite been domesticated yet.
corky95621
Contact Me
sorry if i am coming off a little rude but animals are a big part of my life and i will be attending vet school here shortly and i really dont see the need to give a dog chocolate milk. or any milk for that matter. water is fine for them and way healthier. you might not see a "side effect" right away but it is slowly messing with their health. weather it end up with diabetes, thyroid issues, kidney problems (yes table scraps can affect these) and eventually missing teeth because it never had the proper tools to keep their teeth clean like bones and hard kibble. dogs can start loosing teeth as early as 2 years of age if not properly taken care of. and with the decay and bad bacteria that everytime the dog swallows that bacteria gets into their system and starts sticking to their arteries and causing more problems. small dogs can live up to 18 years or more if taken care of properly at the age of 7 they should not have too many health issues.
primal
Contact Me

Hi folks, glad to see this board is getting a bit more active:)

I don't think you are coming off rudely but you must realize that we all have animals that are a really big part of our lives and dogs, cats or whatever also need variety in their lives.

Well it's been a while since they have had horseradish again but I will be harvesting in spring so we'll see then haha.

I'm not sure if i agree entirely about cooked meat having no nutrients, but then again even for myself i cook rare. I also prefer beef uncooked and yes i am sure i am getting way more nutrients as well as it being much easier to digest but cooked is yummy to as long as it hasn't been boiled, roasted or bbq'd to death hehe.

My 2 oldest shepherds are 11 and still sport stronger and whiter teeth than mine lol. My youngest, a daniff has since i got him always sniffed out the sweetest smelling dandelions and very selectively plucks the flower and eats it.. all of my dogs also eat blackberries very carefully of the bush. Wild plums and apples are also by their own choice eaten.. so far never to excess. Maybe there is something to be said for 'street smarts'

corky95621
Contact Me
im just going off things i read in books. i tend to read a lot of vet books and research many different dog breeds on my free time. dont get me wrong my dogs love veggies and fruits and i know dogs that eat grapefruit when it falls off the tree. but every dog is different lol. im just very passionate when it comes to animals.
primal
Contact Me
I hear ya:) and yes there is so much info out there that it can be difficult at times to know for sure.. kinda just like how we all raise our kids, a lot is learned along the way, despite all the books and advice hehe
corky95621
Contact Me
very true. i have been in the pet industry for a long time now and i still learn more and more each day. i enjoy it very much.
emgerber
Contact Me
This was a very interesting read. It is crazy what a dog will eat. I am very picky about what I will allow my dog to have. No she does not get any thing that is processed. She gets raw or homemade food. Her meat source is venison. She does not get able scraps of any kind. She does not get human snack food either. She does have some vegetables that she loves like carrots, and fruit live apples and banana and occasionally peanut butter and cheddar cheese. If I am unsure of something she does not get it. I read that dogs could have longer healthier life spans if we feed them what is more natural to them.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund